- Soca 2019! -

Friday, August 14, 2009

Say no to copying

Due to a recent post being copied & sent as a message to a facebook group, it's time to explain plagiarism.
This is an independent blog. It's not affiliated with any organization or company. I write my posts in my own words, and contributor Trini-in-Toronto's posts are his words. When I do post an outside article, I link the source. By the way, even if you're taking information from "official" websites, you know you should be linking the source.

While Trini-in-Toronto may find it flattering that someone liked what he wrote enough to use it, the fact is, it was directly copied and sent as a message. Making it look as though the copier wrote it. Because they didn't name the source (the author), or provide a link to the blog. Yes, that's plagiarism, and it's extremely unprofessional. When this was brought to their attention, and they were asked to send a message linking the blog, they ignored it, and then sent another message copying from the post again. I can't see that blatant disregard as anything but mean spirited.

Just as other bloggers have posted my pictures (pictures I've taken) on their blogs, & they provide a link to karabana.blogspot.ca, the same is expected if you use any written work here. I know they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but truthfully, when I've read my opinions and comments practically word-for-word elsewhere, I do feel annoyed. I wonder why people can't form their own opinions? Has technology produced such laziness, that actually writing something yourself is unheard of?! There's too much copying & pasting going on.

So to spell it out for you: if you don't want to write your own thoughts, but use a post you've read here without asking, you MUST name karabana.blogspot.ca as the source and provide a link.

2 comments:

ennekaycee said...

There's an Add This feature that you can add to your blog. People can share the content (on FB/My Space etc) by clicking the "Add This" link, but it will always link back to your blog.

http://www.addthis.com/

Karabana said...

Thanks Ennekaycee, I've done that & would expect it to be used in good faith, I mean, let's face it, it makes it easy for you.
If it's not used, I know it's obviously bc the plagiarizer has zero creativity, is lazy & obviously feels "fuck you, I'll do what I want" - which says loud & clear what kind of relationship they want to have with me.

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory