- Soca 2019! -

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

RIP Nip Davis

Today, one of our great Toronto mas men passed away.

This is a little excerpt that he said about himself on his site

Nip, on Nip:
I was born in Trinidad and Tobago and was associated with the top Bandleader before coming to Toronto. My biggest feat was when my costume placed second in the Island's "King and Queen" competition and the Government chose to put a replica of the costume on its 15 cents stamp.
Since my arrival in Toronto I have participated in all the past Caribana Festivals. I have enjoyed great success with my presentations.
  • Band of the Year title 6 times
  • King of the Band 8 times
  • Queen of the Band 8 times
I go back to Trinidad every Carnival and work with Peter Minshall who is probably the most renowned Artist/Designer in the country.
Also, Peter Minshall has done work for the opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics in Spain and Atlanta. October 7th 2004 was the opening of the Oral History Museum and launch of "Telling Lives" at the Multicultural Centre to which I was the only Carnival Costuming Artist selected to contribute.
Involving youth and creating an environment for learning and expression has always been our mandate. This art must survive through our children and their children.

Caribbean camera article

Share

No comments:

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory