- Soca 2019! -

Friday, July 11, 2008

Hamilton Mardis Gras Parade

I want to Give Hamilton Mardis Gras a little plug. It takes place the weekend after Caribana, so make your plans to attend, and arrange a carpool because it is definitely worth the drive to Hamilton. I will make a more detailed post during the week following Caribana, but I just want to let you guys keep it in the back of your mind for now.

This is their 7th year and I can proudly declare that I have attended every year, and I was in costume every year except year one (Thats because I didn't know that I could have walked with my same Toronto costume and play mas twice!!!!)

YES YOU GET TO PLAY MAS IN YOUR SAME TORONTO COSTUME!!!!

I really like Hamilton Carnival, at first I thought it was because its a smaller crowd and I tend to be more relaxed and I might drink a little more. Or then I thought it might be because the fellow masqueraders seem to be friendlier or I could get better pictures because of the smaller crowds.

Now, I think its because it reminds me of Caribana before it got so huge and they moved us onto a hwy instead of letting us parade in the heart of the city. I like chippin down city streets interacting with people, who may not have even come out looking for the parade. Last year we pass by a banquet hall and took some pics with this couple who were having their wedding reception. I love ducking into local bars and grabbing a couple cold beers to chase my rum thats getting warm. It really is a great time. MAKE YOUR PLANS to check it out. If you have never been, you're missing out

Check out their website, they even have this really catchy Hamilton Calypso on there ... take a listen http://www.hamiltoncarnival.com/index.html



2 comments:

Greeneyes said...

Is there anything in Hamilton this year?

Trini-in-Toronto said...

Sadly, Hamilton Carnival has been done for a few years now.

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory