- Soca 2019! -

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Island Lime


Brazillian Samba dancers

To wrap up Caribana 2008, we volunteered for the final event, De Caribana Island Lime on Olympic Island (Sunday, Aug 3). It's a fun family day with a variety of entertainment. It can also be relaxing if you bring a blanket, a cooler, take some shade & to listen to the music. There were just a few food vendors, so unfortunately the lunch lineups were very long. There were many sites that properly advertised there's an entrance fee, but unfortunately, some misinformed ones said it was free. So that caused much grumbling from the tourists. Locals knew $10 was an alright price, since it used to be $25.

Macomeh Fifi

Crazy
When you wine on me, I get cold sweat

When you grind on me, I get cold sweat



While I was working at the entrance, I met a friendly Jamaican who needed directions. Turns out it was Donald Manning from the Abyssinians. I really enjoyed talking with him and hearing what he thought about touring all over the world, and of particular note was Israel. He asked me if I was going to see them perform at the Harbourfront that evening, so we went by afterwards to check them out.

It was quite a rare opportunity to see this legendary group of roots Reggae originators perform. Their harmonies were chilling and the band made the classical and groovy riddims sound effortless. This is a group of musicians that truly love what they're doing, you could feel it from everyone on stage, the love was that thick.

2 comments:

buublenut said...

Wow you guys helped out a lot this year. Thats great!!! Thanks for helping keep the spirt alive in Tdot!!!!

I hear you guys had a time this weekend as well - can't wait to see the pics!!!

shoegal said...

My my my, at first when I saw those pics with the Samba dancers, my mind asked, 'my lawd who toronto band did that i love them?' then i read further :)
Looks like you had a grand time girl!! FABULOUS!

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory