- Soca 2019! -

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Isn't it time you visit a panyard?

Last week Friday, as I left Mel Lastman Square after enjoying a free David Rudder performance at the Cultura festival, I was driving down Sheppard on my way home. I stopped at a traffic light at Keele street and I had little desire to return to an empty house (Karabana went to visit her folks out of town) and as good company as the cats make, I was still left wanting. Then I remembered Pan Fantasy  has their panyard right in Downsview park. I pulled a quick U-turn and went to check them out. I drove around aimlessly for a bit and then stopped the car and listened for pan. I soon found them.

I love watching people play pan. Its amazing to watch an arranger work out a new piece on the fly, then walk around and teach the few lines to all the different sections and then see these players work it out in a matter of minutes and hear it all come together. It makes me jealous.

If you haven't seen it in a while, you need to check it out. If you have never brought your children to a panyard, its something they need to see.

There are lots of pan-sides in Toronto and they welcome the public to come take a look and listen.

This is a link to a list of panyards... its not my list, so try and verify it's up to date before you leave home... facebook is a good tool

AfroPan has started their Sunday blockos and they are also having a show coming up

Speaking of pan, I just heard a little more on the Pan in the parade story that's been developing in the comments of the band position post.
What I'm hearing now is, there is a thought to have a jouvert event within the CNE after Pan Alive and have that event run once the competition is over until morning. Sounds like a BLAST to me.
But the talk is, its an either or option. Either jouvert or the steel bands participate in the parade. Nothing is set in stone yet. I don't even know if they have permission for an all night event, its still in the planning stages, and there is a meeting on the weekend. Change is good, its a sign of a healthy vibrant festival. I'll let you know if I hear anymore
What you all think?






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say I absolutely love your blog!!!!! If they pick the "jouver't" like experience they wouldn't be able to be in the parade?


Tima

Trini-in-Toronto said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, we are glad you appreciate the effort. Bear in mind, this is what I'm hearing, I'm not even sure there will be any changes. Im really liking the idea of an outdoor jouvert at night. We don't really tete till morning the night before the parade anymore, I guess I am getting old. but its a great option to have.

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory