- Soca 2019! -

Sunday, April 07, 2019

Toronto Revellers Treasure Island band launch 2019


The Revellers team organized another great production at York Mills Gallery, and this year, fortunately there were no obstructions for the media, which we all thank you for. The models were well rehearsed and enthusiastically showed the costumes. Designers produced an assortment of pretty one pieces, and barely there thongs & wire bras for those who dare. For the masqueraders that can't get enough feathers and wings, you're in luck as they still dominate the headpieces, collars and backpacks. Treasure Island began at 11:45 with Pan Fantasy, and wrapped up before 1:30. 

I was pleased to see a ladder was put out center stage for Don Moreland, aka to me, the Man with the Ladder. Before the show began, Jamaal asked for a moment of silence for him, the talented photographer who gave so much to all the Toronto carnival bands. I missed you Don, and will always feel your bright, fun spirit at the launches. 
toronto-photographer-don-moreland-dies-at-55




Sea Captains



Juno-award winning artist and celebrity guest, Jully Black walked the runway in her first-ever masquerade experience. 

“This collaboration is more than a movement and it’s contagious in all the right ways,” exclaimed Black. “I first met Jamaal when we were 13 years old and who knew that 27 years later, in spite of the incredible places our careers have taken us, our true callings would reunite us to build the biggest cross-cultural bridge in the history of our country that is big enough for everyone to cross!”
Magloire added, “Jully did such a wonderful job headlining my charity event last month, that I asked her to join me and my Toronto Revellers to play mas this year,” said Magloire. “She represents everything that my masquerade band stands for: strength, confidence, inclusiveness, beauty and fun, especially with her ‘100 Strong & Sexy’ initiative.” 



Jully Black’s 100 Strong & Sexy - @missjullyblack: Developed by Jully Black, Canadian R&B icon, this 100 day fitness program is open and accessible to all women. The goal is to focus on all aspects of health, not just fitness, but spirituality, discipline, accountability, self care and self worth. By putting in the time and work, this program will transform how a woman looks but most importantly how she feels about herself. The results are in the routine. Women supporting women to be the best they can be. For more information and to join the movement visit www.100strongandsexy.com.




Raven Beauty






Royal Sunset



Ayanna Lotus
 





I like the design of this bra. 


Emeralda's Dream
 





Pink Pearl




All gorgeous. I'd decorate this suit though. 





Hypnotic Fuschia


Love this suit! 





Sweet Colada





Ruby Sunrise





Exuberance







Yemaya








Golden Sails



My favourite suit, because it's different, something I haven't seen before. 





Mauna Loa





Paradise






Revellers has shown that they are back, and strong. What did you think of their costumes?  

4 comments:

JeanneC said...

Fantastic set of costumes...something for everyone! (Great photos of the costumes, too!)

Unknown said...

I see you've hit the ground running... wonderful coverage of the launch.. great photos

Karabana said...

Thanks a lot JeanneC and Unknown! I appreciate it. :-)

Kryssy said...

Revellers famalayyyyyy!!! So I played with TR in 2018 (and 2016). Both amazing experiences and I truly love them with my whole heart.
Ok... on to business. I actually have a top five with TR.
-Sea Captains Section: can we just take a moment for these sailor costumes. Yes Gawd!!! I love this new spin on a classic costume. This may be the first time I loved a hat over a headpiece.... and you know I’m a headpiece QUEEN. Ms. Porsche? Ma’am. MA’AM! I’m gonna start calling her the shut sh*t down stage queen. LOL. On her costume in particular, I wish the bottoms were navy blue to match the wore bra and the feathers. Personal preference... because I’m liable to touch my face and then touch the bottoms and it would be a makeup disaster. LOL. I also really love Ms. Jully’s 100 Strong & Sexy initiative. Brava!!!
-Pink Pearl & Sweet Colada sections: I loved the colors of both of these sections. The pearl accents of PP section are pretty and that nude, mesh jumpsuit? YES!!! I was really drawn to the colors of SC. The peach/pink (?) and white with gold embellishments photographed well and popped on video also.
-Yamaha Section: I played with these Section leaders in 2018 and I can def speak to the high quality of their work. As such, I was eager to see what they put out this year, and they did not disappoint. This section is sexy... especially the frontline costume. Another fave of the launch season.
-Golden Sails Section: honeyyyyy did you say bodywear made of pearls?! SOLD!! Also loved the color scheme of this section. The female frontline model has also been one of my faves this season as well. Another SSDSQ!
Special note:
- Emeralda’s Dream Section: speaking of shut sh*t down stage queens... Ms. Teisha also killed her frontline costume portrayal for this section. I love to see a veteran model on stage, confident and engaging. She checks all boxes for me and made me really love that costume.
I was surprised to see TR so far down in parade position this year; as I’m used to seeing them in the top 3 spots down the road. Curious to see if any impact, good or bad, to their masqueraders on the road.

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory