- Soca 2019! -

Monday, July 22, 2019

Number 7 ~ Twenty years of Caribana ~

~ Twenty years of Caribana ~

7️⃣


It's not that 2006 wasn't a good year, because it was. This is the only picture I could get my hands on. I hope to find and add more. 😊

Looking back, the waistband sure went from huge to much smaller! I liked the shiny, almost mirrored blue, and my well made headpiece was light. 
Besides Hamilton, which I remember being particularly hot, we went to New York Labour Day parade. J'ouvert stands out to me the most as such an amazing experience. We took the subway at 3 am and waited for the train with other revellers headed to party in the dark. Rags, paint, oil, mud and powder were the "costumes". 
In the cool air wbroke dawn with devilish characters following rhythm sections. We've been to J'ouvert style fetes in Toronto, but we need this proper type of J'ouvert, amiright? 

After a bit of sleep, in the afternoon we put on these costumes, and found our way to the parade. Another unforgettable thing is all the NYPD who secured the perimeter. Such a strong force of police officers, I felt intimidated and safe all at once. We chipped in back of a small band towards the end of the parade. This was a different kind of vibe, to experience another carnival, and only made me want to play mas in Trinidad even more.  💙

🎵 Dance With You 🎵

No comments:

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory