- Soca 2019! -

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

~ Twenty years of Caribana ~ Number 1

 Part 1
It's the year 2000. With the exception of seeing a friend's pictures, I had not been to any carnival parade before, so I had no idea what to expect. Shawn and I had only started dating in June. He and his Trini friends talked a lot about how much they loved this thing Caribana, and there was no question that I would be experiencing it with them.
Back then, there were no band launches. The bands would reveal their costumes with artist drawings displayed on posters at the mas camp. Saldenah was the band, the theme, Theatre of the Streets, Miss Saigon the section.
I love red, and was excited but nervous to see what the costume would look like.

My anxiety only got worse when picking up my costume the Friday night (the night before), because I ended up leaving with the display prototype. (The costume they ended up producing was a sports bra and biking shorts. I wanted what was on the mannequin. First time, and here I was insisting on getting what was advertised.)
We parked at Dufferin mall then took a street car to the CNE. I couldn't believe what I was doing, wearing a sports bra in public, and I desperately tried to secure the cape to my waistband with safety pins. I had never felt so conspicuous in my life. Walking through the CNE, a woman stopped me & said "Nice mas. Where are you from, Spain?"
As we made our way to find our friends, I took in the soca music, incredibly colourful costumes, and the friendly public vibe, all new to me. People asked to take our picture all along the way.
How to describe what I was a part of that afternoon, dancing with friends, celebrating life...
Such joy in the sun.
I forgot myself.
I remember feeling free.

I was hooked. ❤️






No comments:

Caribana 2010 slideshow

Mardi Gras, Hamilton

Mardi Gras, Hamilton
2004

Blog Archive

J'ouvert 2008!

J'ouvert 2008!

Mardi Gras 2010

Buublenut, Megan & Karabana at Caribana 2007!

http://www.westindiantube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=bcbeece3d9128ae855 a7

BlogCatalog

Art Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory